Is Delta-8 THC Legal in Iowa?
No, Delta-8 is ILLEGAL in Iowa
This information is intended for general use only and not to replace legal advice. We encourage you to read our legal disclaimer and consult with an attorney for the most current information in your state. By using this site, you agree to our terms and conditions.
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a type of cannabinoid found in cannabis plants that has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, making it an alternative for people who are allergic or sensitive towards traditional painkillers. But before you try this chemical substance with no understanding what the side effects may be like, make sure you know exactly what delta-8 THC really means and how it might affect your health!
What is the Difference Between CBD and Delta-8 THC?
You may want to know the difference between delta-8, delta-9, and CBD. Delta-8 isn't as potent or intoxicating like delta-9 THC found in marijuana but it still has an effect on your body when consumed. On the contrary though is CBD which doesn’t have any type of high feeling associated at all due to being non-psychoactive.
How is Delta-8 THC Related to Cannabis and Hemp?
There are many different types of cannabis, but the main difference is in concentration. The three species that comprise it-Cannabis sativa Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis each have their own unique varieties with varying potencies depending on how much THC or CBD they contain.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that these new drugs are now available in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal; however many states have begun creating frameworks and regulations for the legality of this specific type of drug.
Why Did Iowa Ban Delta-8 THC?
The answer is a bit complicated, but it boils down to the psychoactive compounds of cannabis being illegal in others and competition for fledgling marijuana businesses. Until there's an official regulatory framework governing these products altogether, many other states will continue their ban on it as well.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that delta-8 THC products are now available to consumers in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal. However, many states are beginning to create a legislative and regulatory framework to address the legality of delta-8 specifically.
As of 5/2021, delta-8 THC is ILLEGAL in Iowa under Chapter 96 of Iowa Administrative Code.
The law reads as follows:
CHAPTER 96 - HEMP
1. The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof, and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods.
2. A plant of the genus Cannabis other than Cannabis sativa L., with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods, but only to the extent allowed by the department in accordance with applicable federal law, including the federal hemp law.
“THC” means total tetrahydrocannabinol as determined by an official laboratory test postdecarboxylation.
With additional information addressed in Iowa Code 124 - Controlled Substances.
20. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plants of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, Thu Dec 05 12:35:22 2019 Iowa Code 2020, Chapter 124 (49, 4) §124.101, CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES 4 manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
4. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for purposes of this paragraph only, the term “isomer” includes the optical, position and geometric isomers):
u. Tetrahydrocannabinols, except as otherwise provided by rules of the board for medicinal purposes, meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (Cannabis plant) as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the Cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following:
(1) 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(2) 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(3) 3,4 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers. (Since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions covered.)
Buy Legal CBD Products Online
We want to make sure that you have access to the best products on the market. This is why we offer an incredible assortment of CBD products, so there's something for everyone! It is the primary goal of the team at evan37 to simplify your life by helping you find what you need in one place.