Is Delta-8 THC Legal in Hawaii?
Yes, Delta-8 is LEGAL in Hawaii
This information is intended for general use only and not to replace legal advice. We encourage you to read our legal disclaimer and consult with an attorney for the most current information in your state. By using this site, you agree to our terms and conditions.
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a type of cannabinoid found in cannabis plants that has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, making it an alternative for people who are allergic or sensitive towards traditional painkillers. But before you try this chemical substance with no understanding what the side effects may be like, make sure you know exactly what delta-8 THC really means and how it might affect your health!
What is the Difference Between CBD and Delta-8 THC?
You may want to know the difference between delta-8, delta-9, and CBD. Delta-8 isn't as potent or intoxicating like delta-9 THC found in marijuana but it still has an effect on your body when consumed. On the contrary though is CBD which doesn’t have any type of high feeling associated at all due to being non-psychoactive.
How is Delta-8 THC Related to Cannabis and Hemp?
There are many different types of cannabis, but the main difference is in concentration. The three species that comprise it-Cannabis sativa Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis each have their own unique varieties with varying potencies depending on how much THC or CBD they contain.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that these new drugs are now available in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal; however many states have begun creating frameworks and regulations for the legality of this specific type of drug.
Why are Some States Banning Delta-8 THC?
The answer is a bit complicated, but it boils down to the psychoactive compounds of cannabis being illegal in others and competition for fledgling marijuana businesses. Until there's an official regulatory framework governing these products altogether, many other states will continue their ban on it as well.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that delta-8 THC products are now available to consumers in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal. However, many states are beginning to create a legislative and regulatory framework to address the legality of delta-8 specifically.
As of 5/2021, delta-8 THC is LEGAL in Hawaii under HB2689.
The law reads as follows:
HAWAII HOUSE BILL NO. 2689
(9) Amending definitions of “marijuana” in state law to clarify that hemp grown by a licensee is not marijuana and amending references to tetrahydrocannabinols in the state law to exclude tetrahydrocannabinols in hemp;
“Industrial hemp” means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 per cent on a dry weight basis.
SECTION 14. Section 329-1, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended as follows
1. By adding a new definition to be appropriately inserted and to read:
“Hemp” means all parts of the plant Cannabis sativa L., whether growing or not, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 per cent on a dry weight basis, as measured post-decarboxylation or by other similarly reliable methods.
2. By amending the definition of “marijuana” to read:
“Marijuana” means all parts of the plant (genus) Cannabis whether growing or not; the seeds thereof, the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds, or resin. [It]
“Marijuana” does not include [the]:
(4) A product containing or derived from hemp, including any product containing one or more hemp-derived cannabinoids such as cannabidiol, that:
(A) Does not include any living hemp plants, viable seeds, leaf materials, or floral materials; and
(B) Has a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 per cent on a dry weight basis, as measured post-decarboxylation or by other similarly reliable methods.
SECTION 15. Section 329-14, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsection (g) to read as follows:
(g) Any of the following cannabinoids, their salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, unless specifically excepted, whenever the existence of these salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
(1) Tetrahydrocannabinols; meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (cannabis plant), as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the plant, or in the resinous extractives of Cannabis, sp. or synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following: Delta 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers; Delta 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers; and Delta 3,4 cis or trans-tetrahydrocannabinol, and its optical isomers (since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions, are covered); provided that tetrahydrocannabinols under this subsection shall exclude tetrahydrocannabinols in hemp;
Buy Delta-8 THC Online
We want to make sure that you have access to the best products on the market. This is why we offer an incredible assortment of delta-8 and CBD products, so there's something for everyone! It is the primary goal of the team at evan37 to simplify your life by helping you find what you need in one place.