Is Delta-8 THC Legal in Georgia?
Yes, Delta-8 is LEGAL in Georgia
This information is intended for general use only and not to replace legal advice. We encourage you to read our legal disclaimer and consult with an attorney for the most current information in your state. By using this site, you agree to our terms and conditions.
What is Delta-8 THC?
Delta-8 THC is a type of cannabinoid found in cannabis plants that has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects, making it an alternative for people who are allergic or sensitive towards traditional painkillers. But before you try this chemical substance with no understanding what the side effects may be like, make sure you know exactly what delta-8 THC really means and how it might affect your health!
What is the Difference Between CBD and Delta-8 THC?
You may want to know the difference between delta-8, delta-9, and CBD. Delta-8 isn't as potent or intoxicating like delta-9 THC found in marijuana but it still has an effect on your body when consumed. On the contrary though is CBD which doesn’t have any type of high feeling associated at all due to being non-psychoactive.
How is Delta-8 THC Related to Cannabis and Hemp?
There are many different types of cannabis, but the main difference is in concentration. The three species that comprise it-Cannabis sativa Cannabis indica and Cannabis ruderalis each have their own unique varieties with varying potencies depending on how much THC or CBD they contain.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that these new drugs are now available in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal; however many states have begun creating frameworks and regulations for the legality of this specific type of drug.
Why are Some States Banning Delta-8 THC?
The answer is a bit complicated, but it boils down to the psychoactive compounds of cannabis being illegal in others and competition for fledgling marijuana businesses. Until there's an official regulatory framework governing these products altogether, many other states will continue their ban on it as well.
The Farm Bill has officially legalized hemp-derived products containing small amounts of THC. As such, there was a legal loophole created when it comes to delta-8 THC. This means that delta-8 THC products are now available to consumers in most states, even if marijuana is still illegal. However, many states are beginning to create a legislative and regulatory framework to address the legality of delta-8 specifically.
As of 5/2021, delta-8 THC is LEGAL in Georgia under HB213.
The law reads as follows:
HOUSE BILL 213
AN ACT…to amend Part 1 of Article 2 of Chapter 13 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to schedules, offenses, and penalties regarding regulation of controlled substances, so as to revise the definition of the term “marijuana”(§ 16-13-21. (16)); to provide an exception to the scheduling of tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid as controlled substances(§ 16-13-25. (3). (P)); to provide for related matters; to provide for an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
(3) ‘Federally defined THC level for hemp’ means a delta-9-THC concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis, or the THC concentration for hemp defined in 7 U.S.C. Section 5940, whichever is greater.
7 U.S. Code § 5940.Legitimacy of industrial hemp research
(2) Industrial hemp
The term “industrial hemp” means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.
(5) ‘Hemp’ means the Cannabis sativa L. plant and any part of such plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with the federally defined THC level for hemp or a lower level.
(6) ‘Hemp products’ means all products with the federally defined THC level for hemp-derived from, or made by, processing hemp plants or plant parts that are prepared in a form available for legal commercial sale, but not including food products infused with THC unless approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
(11) ‘THC’ means tetrahydrocannabinol, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, or a combination of tetrahydrocannabinol and tetrahydrocannabinolic acid.
With additional information addressed in Title 16, Chapter 13, Article 1 of the Georgia Controlled Substances Act.
TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES. CHAPTER 13. CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 16-13-21. Definitions
(16) “Marijuana” means all parts of the plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not, the seeds thereof, the resin extracted from any part of such plant, and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such plant, its seeds, or resin; but shall not include samples as described in subparagraph (P) of paragraph (3) of Code Section 16-13-25 and shall not include the completely defoliated mature stalks of such plant, fiber produced from such stalks, oil, or cake, or the completely sterilized samples of seeds of the plant which are incapable of germination
§ 16-13-25. Schedule I
(3) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, their salts, isomers (whether optical, position, or geometrics), and salts of isomers, unless specifically excepted, whenever the existence of these salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
(P) Tetrahydrocannabinols which shall include, but are not limited to:
(i) All synthetic or naturally produced samples containing more than 15 percent by weight of tetrahydrocannabinols; and
(ii) All synthetic or naturally produced tetrahydrocannabinol samples which do not contain plant material exhibiting the external morphological features of the plant cannabis;
Buy Delta-8 THC Online
We want to make sure that you have access to the best products on the market. This is why we offer an incredible assortment of delta-8 and CBD products, so there's something for everyone! It is the primary goal of the team at evan37 to simplify your life by helping you find what you need in one place.